To pollute or not to pollute?

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: To pollute or not to pollute?
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:05:54 -0500
I need the collective wisdom on this issue...
The PO of my Spit Mk III removed the Emission Control Valve (ECV), plugged
the intake manifold and the hose outlet from the valve cover.  Then he
punched a small hole in the oil filler cap.  This hole now spews oil vapor
which condenses and flows down the engine block. I have purchased a 'new'
ECV for installation but... I would like to do two things here:

        1.  Stop the oil spill on the engine
        2.  Maximize my engine's performance

So do I install the ECV to eliminate THAT oil leak? If so, how will that
effect my performance?
If performance is negatively effected, how do I vent the oil vapor (or do I
vent it at all) without installing the ECV?
Any advice/experience/discussion very appreciated.

Should be a great weekend in the Midwest for getting out on the road...hope
you all are making your plans now.

Terrence N. Banbury
Mk III