Re: Rearend re-assembly tip

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rearend re-assembly tip
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:19:17 -0700
An added tip to help insert the rearend.  I find that the frame 'pockets'
where the rearend's 'ears' go often gets squeezed narrow so it becomes
impossible to get the rearend and those two rubber washers on the outside of
each 'ear' into place.  My cure is:-

before trying to refit the rearend, widen the spaces or 'pockets' in the frame
where each of those 'ears' goes, as follows:

1/ get a bolt about 3/8' dia with 3-4 " long threads, two sturdy washers and 2
nuts (NOT nyloc type),
2/ insert the bolt from the outside of the frame into one of the 'pockets
3/ slide a washer on the bolt, then thread on a nut
4/ thread on another nut and slide on another washer
5/ turn the nuts contra-rotating so they press against the inside sides of
that 'pocket' to force it a bit wider.

After struggling for 2 hours to refit a rearent, I did the above and it went
in in 10 minutes - with the rubber washers intact and in place.

Cheers, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,
Calgary, Canada