Body Shop Shopping Adventures

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Body Shop Shopping Adventures
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:29:40 -0800
Well, it was a new day and so I set off to go meet three other body shop
guys that over the phone, said they'd agree to do the Spitfire.  I have a
fourth that I'll visit on Monday.  They only work a four day week, which
should maybe be a red flag right there...

The first guy was an affable older gent who hemmed and hawed and couldn't
give me a firm estimate.  First, he said that to do the work I wanted was
going to take at leat 50 hours.  Then 100 hours.  Heck, maybe even 200
hours!  His grown son was a strange duck.  Never made eye contact with me,
never said a word.  Looked at the car completely expressionless.  The guy
was scary.

Next, came another older guy, recommended by the fellow who reupholstered my
seats.  After a few minutes, he said that he probably wouldn't be
interested, since all he wanted to do was sand off the visible rust spots
rather than weld in new panels in like I want to.

The third guy, Mario, happened to be visiting his friend at the upholstery
shop and I asked him to give me a ballpark.  He said that to cut out and
weld in new floor panels, both rear quarter panels, and the valance, along
with any other minor work the bonnet and doors may need would run about
$2,500, including a two stage paint job.  He seemed like he knew what he was
talking about and gave me a realistic estimate of how long it would take him
(three months), since he'd be working on my car and one or two other resto
projects inbetween insurance jobs.

At least I'm making some progress!  And, I had another excuse to drive
around for a few hours and enjoy the ride.  I also made an appointment with
my upholsterer, who's going to fabricate a completely new RHD tonneau cover
for me and cut it in around the roll bar for $95.  Sweet.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego