Body shop woes

To: jmcneal@ohms.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Body shop woes
From: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:55:47 -0600
Jeff I can empathise with you on finding a body shop interested in your car.  It
took me a long time to find someone to do my TR3, but I finally found a really
super guy who did the restoration in his home and obviously loved the work, not
just for money. It wasn't cheap or fast, but top quality.  My Spitfire, now, I'm
doing myself completely and learning as I go.  You can bet if I can do it,
anyone can!  The reason most shops won't touch an old car is that they know once
they get into it, they will find more damage/rust than is seen on the surface.
Plus the parts situation, they don't know how easy it is to find body parts for
Spitfires. So, here are a few ideas:
1.  Ask around and see if someone does restoration as a hobby on a part time
basis.  Get recommendations first before trusting the job to a "shade tree" guy,
however.  Be prepared to leave the car a LONG time as most of these guys work
slow.  But, you can check up on it often and see how well the guy is doing on
it.
2. Check into trade schools or colleges who offer body shop courses, maybe they
would take on the job.  Again, be prepared to wait a long time, but the cost
will be reasonable.  And usually very good!
3. Better yet, why not take a body shop course at local community college?  Do
it yourself.
4. As a last resort, you may consider taking it across the border into Mexico
and having a "good" shop there do it.  Be very careful however as there are a
bunch of rip-off artists there who will do a lousy job.  I have had upholstery
jobs done over in Juarez years ago and these people do super work if you find a
good one!  I wouldn't take one there now with all the political problems they're
having.
Good luck, and remember if you do the job yourself there are really
knowledgeable people here to help if you get stuck.
Richard