front suspension/327 spit combined

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: front suspension/327 spit combined
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:02:52 -0500
The front shocks on the spit should be the same on both sides.  That is,
unless you have different suspensions on either side of the car, which I
will assume you do not at this time, because that would be silly.  As for
the springs, call teamtriumph or check vicky brit, as they have them as
well.  These are well engineered to fit, but many people I have talked with,
as well as findings in Grassroots suggest that they are a little soft for
competition, but would be a huge improvement over the stock mush-piles they
call springs.

As for a big motor spit, teamtriumph is currently putting together a rover
v-8 powered spit, "just because the parts are there".  The rover is the only
way to go for a big engine spit if you want to go really big.  The weight
penalty is just too great with an all iron block big engine.   It seems to
be progressing well.  I know a guy to runs a tremendously modified sprite
(its the only way I forgive him for an MG) powered by a rover 8 that gets
close to 500 hp, so the power potential is definitely there, and aftermarket
parts are definetly available.  The problem is creating a driveline to
handle this power in a spit....

Personally, I would really like to see an engine and tranny extracted from
the Lexus gs400 implanted into a spit.  Tons of power, small, and light
weight.  That would be the project to do.  Still the best bet is a 13b Mazda
rotary powerplant for availability, power, and weight.

Jim