Tire size / RPM connection?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire size / RPM connection?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:32:06 -0800
Hi everyone.  I inquired yesterday if 4,000 RPM at 55 MPH sounded right for
my non-overdrive '67 Spitfire -- and received several replies stating that
it seemed high, even with the original rear end for my car in place.

It seemed high to me too.  I seem to recall from my first Spitfire that the
needles on the speedo and tachometer were more or less in parallel with each
other while in 4th gear.

Does tire (not wheel) size make a difference?  The PO installed 145 SR 13's
on my car.  Would changing tires bring the ratio back into synch so my
engine doesn't have to run so hard?

Otherwise, what in the heck could it be??

Best wishes,

Jeff