back-up switch and front suspension rebuild

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: back-up switch and front suspension rebuild
From: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:58:01 -0700
Thanks to everyone that offered me a reverse switch, but I found a
expandable rubber plug that did the job.
I completed the front suspension rebuild today and all I can say is - Holy
Shit!! I should have done this a long time ago. Its like having a new car.
Rundown of parts-
Poly bushing, KYB shocks, competition springs (300 #), rebuild trunions, new
rack boots, new tie rods and ball joints. Re-arched rear spring and KYB
shocks previously done to the rear.
The car feels very tight now, no more wallow through the turns. All the
bushings were badly rotted, the lower shock bushing were worn through, metal
to metal. I had to cut off three of the control arm bolts with a cut off
wheel because the bolts rusted to the metal sleeves. I gave everything a
liberal coating of anti-seize so this doesn't happen again. I have one of
those small 12 ton shop presses from Harbor Freight, it popped out all the
old bushing in about two minutes, and with three pieces of 1/2" bar stock.
it doubles as a handy spring compressor to remove the top plate from the old
spring.  Works wonders on u-joints as well.
I can highly recommend the 300# springs. The ride is just like I like it,
stiff but not bone jarring.  I was afraid that they would lower the front of
the car, but the ride height is actually a bit higher than before. I decided
not to use the 1500 springs I had gotten because I was afraid they would
raise it too high. It may settle a bit, but it looks like I could make a
spacer to fit between the top of the upper spring plate and the upper mount
on the car to gain about 1/2" of height.
Tomorrow - 4 wheel alignment.
MikeC