Advice for transportation / body / paint

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Advice for transportation / body / paint
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:20:22 -0800
Good golly.  Now that I have my mechanical problems solved (for the time
being, of course :-) -- I plan on enjoying my Spitfire for the summer and
fall, then after Triumphfest, replace all the suspension bushings with poly
and then begin stripping every bit of rubber, chrome and trim off the car in
preparation for body restoration and painting.

I'd like to remove the windshield as well.  What's the best way for me to
get the car to and from the body shop when I have all the bumpers, lights,
etc. stripped off?  Just hire a flatbed?  I certainly wouldn't want to drive
it without a windshield!  Do body shops usually provide a pickup and
delivery service for such things?

I have no intention of making this car concourse or show quality, but close
to it to the untrained eye.  I WOULD like it to appear like a new car, but
to heck with soaking bolts in cleaner and replating them and all that stuff.
If I can get away with leaving the body on the chassis, I'll be happy.  As
long as things are solid and without rust, I really don't care what the
underside of the car looks like.  But if for some reason the body needs to
come off, I'll probably have the frame blasted and epoxy painted while I'm
at it.

Ideally, I'd like to strip the entire car down so every inch of metal can be
resprayed inside and out.  Question: If I wanted to take the windshield
frame completely off the car, is it common practice to have it sprayed as a
separate piece, so they can paint the scuttle piece underneath where the
seal would normally be, and then I'd just reattach it later?  Ir would it be
avisable to keep it attached to the car for painting?  I'd like to do the
same thing with the boot lid -- pull it ahead of time so I can remove the
chrome latches before the prep and paint.

TIA

Jeff in San Diego