Re: Trim Pad Ideas?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trim Pad Ideas?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 21:58:31 -0500
At 05:26 PM 3/6/00 EST, Tom Burke wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I am at the point of replacing the "Trim Pads", aka door panels> The old
ones
>are OK, but, the exotic English fibreboard underneath is warped and the
vinyl
>is dingy.
>
>My problem is that I don't like the look of these pieces even as they would
>appear new. The fit is poor around the edges and the grey color is nothing
>special. Has anyone seen or installed a snappier-looking alternative?

Tom,

  Make your own.  You can use masonite for the backing or 1/8" plywood using
your old cardboard panels as a pattern.  If you use the plywood, I'd cover it
with West System Epoxy.  Then get some 1/4 - 1/2" foam rubber.  Glue it to the
new backing with trim adheasive.  Then you can purchase any type vinyl or
fabric that you like to cover it.  Typical cost is a lot less that purchasing
new ones (unless you purchase the west system epoxy - about $60 for the 1st
gallon).

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org