Re: 74 Is Alive!

To: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: 74 Is Alive!
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:07:24 -0600
>Add another Spitfire to the list of drivable cars!

Congratulations!

>Today after inspection, I drove the 74 Spit for 51 miles.  It drove very
>well.  I even pushed the overdrive button, (Nervously) and boy dod that
>thing kick in! dropped my RPM's just like that. Plenty of Pep at 75 MPH
>with the overdrive on.   Never had an overdrive before, I can't imagine
>not having one now.
>
>Only 2 problems I have. One will be taken care of tomorrow, New
>Altenator.  The other was a sympton of no gas. just for a couple of
>minutes. I pulled over it idled fine. I took off agian , no problem.
>I have decided to get a fuel pump anyway.  Which is better  Mechanical
>or electric?

If you're just now deciding to get a fuel pump ... this could explain
your "no gas" trouble.  ;)

I have an electrical one, and the single solitary problem I've had in
9 years (that's really only about 18-20,000 miles) was that the grime
caused a poor ground once.  Cleaned off the grime, tightened the
mounting screw, and all was back to normal.

A couple of advantages of the electrical ones: 1) you can replace
them more easily, 2) they don't present an engine hazard should they
break, and 3) if yours breaks in timbuktu, a replacement generic
electrical one will be much easier to come by than a Spitfire
mechanical one.

>The only other anoiance was the pain in my left shoulder. I found the
>top frame to be jabbing me.  Never was the case with my 63. I might have
>to make this top like the 63 top.

I have the same trouble.  If you find a solution, I'll worship you.

Dan

Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, now with an O too. Runs & drives, but shakes
like crazy; needs new tires and a steering/suspension rebuild.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/gmachine/greenmachine.html

1957 TR3, TS15098L. Needs an O. Undergoing frame-off restoration begun 9/99.
http://home.earthlink.net/~nickndan/TR3/TR3.html

1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon. Gets me to work and back home again every day.
No home page. (go figure)