Adjusting steering wheel height?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Adjusting steering wheel height?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:01:09 -0800
I just got my driver's seat back in the car for the first time since
reupholstery.  I don't know if it's because of the nice, new, thick seat
foams or my tyrannosaurus rex inspired thighs, but the bottom of the
steering wheel seems to be rubbing against the top of my leg.  As best I can
figure it, I can't lower the seat (it's already on the floor!), and I either
need to raise the wheel and/or push it forward slightly.  I've found the
adjustment bolts just under the top bracket parallel to the dash -- and
there seems to be more room on the forward (closest to me) slot to raise the
wheel higher, but I can't seem to get anywhere.  I tried loosening the two
bolts about halfway down the shaft, which seem to have slots for height
adjustment also, but they didn't seem to effect the travel of the shaft when
I tried to muscle the wheel higher.  So now...  Is there a way to move the
wheel forward slightly?  I seem to recall that the telescoping shaft can be
adjusted, but I'm not really clear on how to achieve this.  I hope someone
has the answer, since I spent a great deal of time and effort restoring the
wheel to the original type and repairing the horns.  I know that a smaller
diameter wheel would help.  So would smaller diameter legs.  I guess I can
go to work on that end of it, at least!

Thanks!

Jeff in San Diego

.