Prepare for Take Off..... First flight of the year

To: <triumphs@autox.teaam.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Prepare for Take Off..... First flight of the year
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:00:07 -0600
The header says it all.  A fifty mile return journey to St Francois Xavier,
a small town outside of Winnipeg.  As in Manitoba, Canada, "Winterpeg".
Except that there is no snow to be found, except a small drift in a
ditch...here and there.  We have been blessed with a winter that started a
month late, and...knock on wood pleeeeease.... well, you know.  My previous
record is Feb 10, and then  I only drove it to the club meeting (a change in
insurance law favoured a pre-March 1 reg.. and I thought why not?).

I think this will be a wonderful summer for all of us everywhere,  weather
patterns permitting.  Now us "Notherners" (include snowbelt states, please)
may have a chance at a 9 month season !!

I put the car away last October.  Then, it needed a diff (wrong ratio),
tranny (3rd gear synchro, bearings, and speedo gear),  and many little
things.  Driving today,  I wonder.....  Absence did  make the heart grow
fonder, because I enjoyed the quirks of the car.  3800 rpm at 60,  with
essentially no mufflers.  Double declutching to save what's left of the
tranny.  Freezing from the lack of decent heat and window seals that I never
ever did put on....  I came home shivering... because I was too macho to
wear a  "proper" leather jacket,  but pumped up about the ordeal.  I even
ran into a fellow at the town store who claimed to have had a GT6.  His
story about a "great car that was a maintenance hog" struck a good nerve,
and I left, shivering, but smiling as I let the volume control hit 5k on the
upshifts.

I challenge the lists to continue this thread.  Let's make some good news.

Dave T
Winnipeg