RE: Rear view mirror/Safety

To: "'Jeff McNeal'" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: RE: Rear view mirror/Safety
From: "Banbury, Terrence" <Terrence.Banbury@dnr.state.oh.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:06:21 -0500
        Jeff, (and list members) thought this might be of interest to you
since you have a Mk III, as I do.  Sometime ago I ordered a replacement rear
view mirror from TRF for a Mk III (my original was half 'de-silvered' and
difficult to see out of).  When it arrived it was obviously for a Mk IV /
1500.  It was a catalog misprint.  Got busy elsewhere and never sent it
back.  Now, since I am getting out on the road more often, the mirror is an
issue.  I took the Mk III mirror apart and removed the glass (very strait
forward, almost too simple); took it to a mirror shop and they are in the
process of cutting a new one ($6).  the original is 3/32" thick and the new
one  will be 1/8" thick.  I don't think this will pose a problem that can't
be overcome.

        Now for the safety part.  The 1500 mirror is a nice one.  Wider than
the Mk III and with a day/night switch.  I decided to create the option to
use either one.  I took a small piece of wood moulding; about 1-1/2"x 2" x
5/16".  Drilled two holes in it to attach it to the windscreen with the
original screws.  Then fastened the 1500 mirror to the piece of wood.  I had
to drill a recess into the wood to accommodate a 'bump' on the 1500 mirror
mounting plate.  I will radius the edges and paint it black.  It is quite
unobtrusive and looks like it will be a 'factory' job.  This way, I can
simply remove a few screws and I'm back to an original look, if I'm so
inclined.  Or leave it in.

        The wood 'adapter' is really a must, though, due to the
configuration of the 1500 mirror; it needs a little more clearance from the
windscreen glass.

        Sorry for long post, just an FYI.....