Re: electrical spitfire advice

To: "Phil Johnson" <spitfire.man@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: electrical spitfire advice
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 00:04:07 -0000
Hi Phil
This definitely sounds like the flasher relay is at fault, unless where you
say "the indicators glowed continuously" did they glow or did they light up
bright? And when you operate the hazards do they work properly i.e. bright?
The reason I ask this is that the relays for these cars earth through the
light units therefore if there is a bad earth the relay will not be earthed.
I have just had a similar problem with one of my cars, the indicators slowed
right down and despite checking the live feeds and all the earths I could
not cure the problem. also at my local Lucas they were out of stock of the
original relay (FL8?) but they offered as a solution that I fit an
electronic relay from a modern car, all that is needed is the addition of an
earth for the relay. I have tried this fix and have a nice steady indication
system, it makes a slightly different noise from the original but I can live
with this and the cost was only a couple of pounds extra.
This would also cure another problem I once had this being that the lights
on one side of my Herald flashed faster than the other, after several days
of fiddling I replaced all the indicator bulbs with new and this cured the
problem. One of the bulbs was a new one that I had fitted the day the
problem started and obviously had a different resistance to the others.

Hopefully Helpful,
Graham.