Re: Master cylinder

To: mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu
Subject: Re: Master cylinder
From: HD50EL@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 14:17:06 EST
Marcus, I don't think that you are going to have much luck finding a new
master cylinder at a reasonable price. They have been high priced as long as
I have been dealing with Triumphs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with
rebuilding them, and the pistons are ok to use as long as they don't have
excessive wear/damage. The main thing to be concerned with when rebuilding
any type of hydraulic cylinders is the condition of the bore. If the bore has
pitting, then it will leak, even with new seals. But this too is no major
obstacle, as there are several companies out there that specialize in
installing brass sleeves in hydraulic cylinders. I have used White Post
Restorations in VA for years for this purpose, but I hear that Apple
Hydraulics in NY do just as good a job. I am getting ready to rebuild the
master cylinder on my 75, but I'm not too worried about it cause I have half
a dozen cores laying around just in case the bore is pitted.

John C. Smith
75 Spitfire