Locking brakes und carb tuning

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Locking brakes und carb tuning
From: "Marcus Schaper" <mschaper@gvpt.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:21:56 -0500
Listers,

I am helping a friend to get his '76 Spit on the road. The car has not been
driven for several years. His PO bought in from a guy (the PO's PO) who rebuild
the engine but could not get it running. The PO replaced a bad Luminition dizzy
with an older points one (has the mechanical tach drive) and got the engine
running. But that is about it, it did not have an airfilter and it seems that
after the rebuild the rebuilder did not even bother to put on a new fan belt.

Problem now is that it runs like c**p, but I don't have a timing strobe here to
check the timing and I have never adjusted a Stromberg carb. Is there anyone
around in the DC area who could help us checking the timing and adjusting the
carb? We are in Takoma Park.

Would it be advisable to go back to a Luminition ignition? We just got some
used parts along with a hardtop including a Luminition dizzy with amp and coil
off a '75 or '76.

Second problem is that the front brakes lock up at times. After opening one of
the bleeders to relieve the pressure everything is OK again. Calipers, rear
cylinders, hoses, and fluid are new. Who is most likely the culprit - PDWA or
master cylinder?

I was thinking about removing the PDWA, because the new dashboard will not have
any holes for the warning lights, anyway. Has anyone kicked out the PDWA? If
so, where did you get the brake line unions to bypass it? What size thread are
the brake line fittings?

Thirdly, I would like to replace the two part speedometer cable and EGR warning
light box with a one piece cable like on the home market Spits. Will an older
(pre EGR) cable fit or shall I wait until summer when the car will be shipped
back to Europe? Does anyone have a long cable for sale/trade? I can offer a
used upper cable, a new lower cable, and the box.

Thanks,
Marcus
'67 GT6 (in boxes)
'76 Spitfire 1500 (Treating it like it was mine)