Re: MK I Convertible Top -- Long

To: sharpc@interaxs.net
Subject: Re: MK I Convertible Top -- Long
From: "Andrew Holmes" <holmes_law@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:06:42 PST
I don't know if you need a new top, but I can tell you that I put the top up
on my car almost the same way you do.  That bit in your #7, about unfolding
the bow after you've secured everything - that I don't normally do.  I've
always had the bow unfolded all the way, and the last theing I do is release
the spring tensions in the arms above the bow slots in the car.

When you say that you have a "fabric" top, I'm not sure what you mean.  I
don't know much about the original tops available for the car, but I've
never heard of a fabric top.  Mine is some kind of vinyl, I think.  I got
mine from Robbins in California, and at the time, I think it cost around
$250 or so (but that's a guess, I can't really remember . . .)

Those gaps you're talking about, I don't have 'em on my top.  There is a
little saddle in the edge, on the sides of the top, and it forms a little
gutter to track water away from the windows.  Beneath that, there is almost
a flap that runs the length of the window top, and while it may not make a
seal of any kind, it certainly comes down far enough to block the rain.

As for the shiner bock, I'm with you.  These tops are a real pain in the
$%&* to put up.  That's why I just bought a factory hard top.  Keeps me warm
in the San Francisco fog . . . And I use Anchor Steam, not Shiner Bock . . .

Good luck, and I hope this helps . . .