Transmission speedo gear ring (WAS: Part Needed) -- Long

To: "Spitfires@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission speedo gear ring (WAS: Part Needed) -- Long
From: "Chris Sharp" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:27:41 -0500
Ralph-

I recently went on this same trek.  The gear ring on mine cracked while I
was pressing it back onto the shaft during a transmission overhaul, leaving
me with a plastic gear in one hand and a metal ring in the other.

Not to dampen your hopes but I had zero success finding a new or used one.
I called everyone I could think of and even went as far as driving up to
TSImported (Ted Schumacher's place up in Pandora, OH, about 2 hrs north of
where I live) and rummaged around in his parts bin.  He had five bags of
speedometer gear rings, none of which were correct.  He then showed me
several used transmissions on the shelf, all of which had the later ring.
The early tranny I have uses a 5-spiral gear, everything he showed me had 6-
or 7-spirals.

My solution was a bit unorthodox, but here it is just the same.  Since my
part was cracked in one place and no longer fit on the metal ring, I went to
the local hardware store and bought a rasp bit for my drill.  I then ground
down the inside of the nylon gear ring until I could compress it together
around the steel ring.  I then mixed up some oil-proof epoxy, applied it to
the nylon and steel rings, assembled and set it to dry with a hose clamp
holding it all together.  The only real critical part is ensuring the
spirals match up -- I used pieces of coat-hanger wire laid in the grooves at
the crack to align them.

I'm not sure as to whether this is a good fix or not since I just got the
car back on the road this week.  Seems to be holding up but only time will
tell.  The gear ring is mounted in the tail shaft assembly where I doubt any
damage to the drive line could occur if it breaks.  And if it does, the
worst thing that will happen is that the speedometer will stop working,
which is exactly where I'd be anyway.

And if you do happen to find a source, let me know 'cause I'm going to want
one sooner or later.  <-grin->

Good luck.

Chris
'64 Spitfire back on the road and loving life!