wiring harness of unknown origins

To: List Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: wiring harness of unknown origins
From: Dean Martz <dmartz@dns.lake-coe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:17:01 -0800
List,

        I hate to break up the discussion on the new club, location,
etc. but, I have a question

of a electrical  nature. I am currently considering the R & R of the
wiring harness on my '63

Mk I, as opposed to just patching it. The question involves the
"color-coding" of the

harness. In the past I have seen repro harnesses that are color-coded as
original (or close),

but the one in this car is all gray. Each wire has a little number on a
piece of paper stuck near

the end, and in some cases, the same # at each end (example : #11 goes
from the ign. switch

to the starter solenoid). So the $64,000 question (well, $1,000,000 -
adjusted for inflation )

is... what do I have here,  a weird repro or an original harness ???
Also, If I choose to buy

a new harness, does anyone have a good source (aside from the big 3) for
one.

                                                                Thanks
as always,

Dean Martz (FC6207)