RE: Floor replacement help

To: "'BillG'" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>, Spitlist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Floor replacement help
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 09:50:14 -0500
Bill, you can do it 100% correct or you can just weld it in. Either way will
work well simply depending on the severity and extent of your rust (does it
reach into the rockers and sills) to do it properly you end up taking apart
the sills and rockers and it is a absolutely HUGE job, if going that route
(and if that was what the body shop would actually do) I would cough up the
$350 and be happy.  Yes you are capable of doing it that way, but I don't
think you want to.  The other option is to trim the edge of your replacement
pan and trim your floor pan leaving about an inch of overlap and weld it in
on top.  You can do a good job that way and once you are done it would be
very hard to tell.  Be careful the replacement pans are not typically the
same depth as the originals and you do not want one floor to be 2 inches
higher than the other (some trimming of edges would be involved)

If you are doing the second way (which is probably the better and easier
bet) I would tell you to go for it.
The first way you can do, but you will hate yourself by the time it is done.

Patrick Bowen