Broken Oil Pressure Sending Unit

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Broken Oil Pressure Sending Unit
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 16:31:18 EST
I've asked this one before, but I'd like some more options.

I snapped off my oil pressure switch flush with the block surface and then
managed to adroitly snap off the extractor as well.  I've tried to loosen it
with
a center punch to no avail.  I also tried to bypass the whole setup by
installing
an oil pressure gauge off one of the galley plugs, but I was unable to find
a fitting small enough.  I cannot drill it out because the suspension "turret"
is in the way and forces me to drill at an angle.

At least it doesn't leak and I've been driving it hoping that something
cataclysmic
doesn't occur.  I'm thinking that my only remaining option is removing the
engine
mounts and jacking the engine high enough to be able to drill it out and
retap.
I should probably also drop the oil pan, remove the oil pump and wrap
everything
in rags to prevent metal bits playing havoc with the innards.

I'd sure appreciate any better ideas!  TIA

Greg Rowe
78 Spitfire