Tranny top replacement - HELP!

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny top replacement - HELP!
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:32:20 -0800
Hi everyone.  Another lister did a wonderful thing and sent me a Mk3
transmission cover to replace the Mk2 cover that's fitted to my vehicle.
The PO swapped the old Mk3 tranny for a Mk2 at some point and wired a toggle
switch on the dash to work the back-up lights.  So anyway, I'm performing
the swap.

Here's the problem:

Oh, I can get the new cover back on okay, but I noticed when I put the
gearshift lever back on, it just didn't "feel" right.  When I took the lever
back off, I looked inside and could see that the rails are NOT lined up the
way they were when I pulled the old cover off.

I have tried several attempts to line up the rails and then put the cover
back on, to no avail.  The reverse operating lever seems to be in the way.
The only way that I can get the cover on and the reverse lever into its
"slot" is to push the selector fork on the center rail all the way back, so
it's not in the way of the slot for the reverse lever.  However, I can't
seem to then get the center rail and gear selectors moving again.  I'm
assuming that the rails need to be lined up in neutral, but I'm afraid I'm a
bit in over my head this time.  Unfortunately, the gent who made the swap is
not home, so I'm stuck.  I'm sure he could provide the answer.

If anyone with experience in refitting a gearbox top is reading this, please
call me toll free at 800-875-4995 between now and 6pm PST today (2/12) and
let me know what I need to do!  Thanks!

Jeff in San Diego