Re: Hard lesson -- learn from my mistakes

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard lesson -- learn from my mistakes
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 16:45:58 -0500
At 08:18 PM 1/31/00 -0800, Jeff McNeal wrote:

>Hello all.  It is with great humility and hopes to help others that I have
>documented an embarassing and what could have been potentially fatal
>happenstance today.
>
>My wheel fell off while the car was in motion.  Why?  In a nutshell, haste
>combined with inexperience and a parts mistake that went unnoticed before it
>was too late.....

Jeff,

  Truely a bummer and I can sypmathize and empathize with you.  I have a
similar story.  When I 1st got my Morgan back in 69, I took it to an
autocross.  I wanted to run it, but my grilfriend said not to, you just
got the car and don't know it yet.  I was listening to several of my friends
talking about how they were making one turn, and they were saying something
about a handbrake turn.  Not being too shy, and always inqusitive, I asked
one of them, what they ment by a "handbrake" trun?

They proceeded to describe how to do it.  I went over to a deserted part of
the parking lot and tried it.  IT WORKED!!!  About 1/2 way through the spin
I hurd a clink... clink,clink,clink and saw something flash.  So I let off
the brake, didn't downshift, hit the brakes and let the car stop.  I got
out and looked around, my right front spinner had come off and the wheel was
about 1/2 way off the hub.  I went and retreived it, jacked up the car, and
slid the wheel back on and drove home.

A few days later, I had just come off the interstate, and got stopped behind
a bus.  As I stopped, I heard the clunk, clunk....  One of the front spinners
(don't remember which one) came off.  I retreive it, put it back on, and off
I go.  This happened several more times.  I finally got very irratated at
this and decided to find out what was wrong.

It turns out that the last person to work on the car (not me - it happened
before I bought it) had had both sides of the front end torn down and reversed
the right and left hubs when they put it back together.  Once I change that
around, I never had the problem of throwing a spinner again.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org