Miata seats

To: "Spitfire list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miata seats
From: "Mark Campbell" <spitfire@shelby.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:53:13 -0500
Well, the pictures are crap(it was getting dark and I suck at photography),
but they're at http://www.shelby.net/bah/html/.
The install was very easy.
1.  Make sure seat sliders are even, they are integral to the seat.
2.  Place seats in car.  Adjust location for best seating position.
3.  Mark the location of the mounting hole on the floor.  The position had
to be adjusted some to allow drilling through a flat surface.
4.  Remove seats from car and drill through floorpan where marked.  I used a
3/8ths bit, you may be able to go larger, but I thought 3/8ths was enough
given the size of stock seat mounting bolts.
5.  Place seats back in car and bolt down.  I used 2" full thread 3/8ths
bolts with 2 large washers(top and bottom) and a lock washer.  The bolts
were a little on the long side, a 1 1/2" bolt may work better.

Final thoughts:
-With my seat-of-the-pants seat positioning, the seats aren't mirror-imaged
across the driveshaft hump.
-The height of the seats puts my head very near the back window while the
top is up.  This also puts the sun shade in my line of sight, I might have
to lose the shade on the driver's side.
-For those of you concerned with appearances, the Miata seats have the
seatbelt buckles attached.  When these are removed, there are a couple holes
that are visible in the sides of the seat bottom.
-Please be kind if you have any comments on the condition of the car, I'm
getting ready for an engine transplant.

Email me if you have questions.  Hopefully I'll get better pictures of the
final install when I get the car ready to roll.

Mark Campbell
bah@shelby.net
72 Spitfire