to those competing in spits

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: to those competing in spits
From: "James F. Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 13:55:43 -0500
I am in the process of modifying my spit for autox as i have posted before and
have a few questions regarding suspension set up.  I need to make a decision
as to what to use for front springs.  The old standard is gt6 with 1-1.5 coils
cut off.  The spring was originally 220#, i believe plus whatever the math
works out to be after the coils are removed.  The problem with this is the
spring never quite sits right after being cut, etc., etc..

I know that i need to increase spring rate to lower the car, decrease roll and
reduce the oversteer that i have.  TriumphTune suggests 300-330# springs that
give a final installed height of 6.875 to 7.25 inches, but does not give the
uninstalled height.  I also am concerned that this if obviously a setup for
road racing, but does it autox?

So, the question is, for those autox-ing spits, what are you using for front
springs and would you do the same thing is you were to do it again?

jim libecco