Re: Amco Top Help

To: Mark Gardner <mrgrdnr@ix.netcom.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amco Top Help
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:37:02 -0500
At 02:12 PM 11/27/99 -0800, Mark Gardner wrote:

>Based largely on advice from the list, I purchased an Amco top
>for my '79 spit a few months ago.  I just got around to installing it
>this weekend.  I opened the box and found a warranty registration card,
>a small package of parts, and a caution note about the windows.  But no
>instructions.  I've never installed a top before, but intend to tackle
>this one.  Does anyone have a link to a site with installation
>instructions?

Sure Mark, try

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/

Under Interior, read the TR4 Top Installation tips, and the TR6
Step-by-Step instructions.  That's what I used to do my top (hood) a couple
years ago.

One tip -- if you need  the little tool for installing the snaps, you can
pick one up at a sporting goods store, look in the tent and camping
department.

If you are a member of a local club, ask for some help there...experience
is a wonderful thing.  I went through a lot of difficulty that was due to
the Amco top being made incorrectly.  If I had known they weren'y _all_
like that I would have exchanged mine before I installed it.

Another thing -- if you are installing new snaps on the rear of the body,
use the screw-on top off an old spark plug to increase the 'reach' of your
rivet tool, the snaps will be much more snug.

I'm sure you will be successful,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

" Doesn't 'expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?"