New guy

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: New guy
From: "Michael Hightower" <mphtower@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:27:09 -0500
Hi,

  I'm new to the Spitfires list thanks to Mr. Tom Shirley.

  I recently acquired a '76 Spitfire 1500 in fairly horrible condition.  The
original owner (a Navy Seal who is dating the mother of a friend) did a, uh,
unique job bondoing parts of it.  So, the paint is pretty ratty.  Also, the
interior is pretty shot.  Finally, the rear transverse spring appears to be
dead (I do know that the bushings have been replaced and it exhibits motion
laterally).

  On the other hand, it's got a fairly decent modified engine with headers,
ported/polished intake manifold, strengthened valves, fiberglass 4-pipe
exhaust, and a Weber DGAV.  I need to tweak the choke system on the carb,
though.  Supposedly it has a Stage I cam, lightened flywheel (feels like
it), and ported/polished cylinder head.  So the performance may be nice once
I get it on the road.

  I do have a few questions:  This car seems to have an overdrive relay
(according to the service manuals), but has does not have overdrive.  At
least, it doesn't have an overdrive switch.  Is there another use for it?

  Also, the horn relay appears to have gone bad in that it's shunting power
straight to ground.  Is this a common problem, or could I have another
problem somewhere else?

  Finally, where are some good sources for parts?  I live right down the
street from Motorhead in Merrifield, Va., and have a catalog from The
Roadster Factory.  Are there others?

  Oh, one quick bit about me:  I also own an '83 Toyota Land Cruiser and an
'80 Fiat X1/9.  I guess I needed another Italian designed 2-seater....

  - Michael Hightower