RE: Looking at a '69 Spitfire

To: "'Craig D Niederst'" <cdn@andrew.cmu.edu>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Looking at a '69 Spitfire
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:34:16 -0500
Craig, I would look very carefully a this car.  You say the doorskin (an
unusual replacement) and the floorpans have been replaced.  Investigate the
floorpans, this is probably the number one trouble spot on spits.  While
mentioned earlier that they rust up front, my experience is that they rust
more under the seats.  Repairs on the floorpans is a very complicated and
involved job to do correctly.  Look at the quality of work and make sure its
ok.  If he had to replace some panels already due to rust, then the chances
are high that there is other rust yet to  be found.  (where do youlive,
northern salty roads don't do many favors)  The battery box was mentioned,
but I have not found this to be too much of a problem to solve.  Check the
frame,  especially in the back close to the diff right where it angles up,
typical rust spot.  Has it ever been wrecked?  Possible frame damage, maybe
that is why the door skin was replaced.  Condition of the seats.  I don't
know if the '69s had the wire basket for the seat cushion to sit in like the
later ones, but these are irreplaceable and frequently rust/dissolve.  Look
overall at the condition of the interior, you can easily rack up $500
repairing seats.  Are the seat cushions good.   Get a flashlight and crawl
under the dash.  how does the wiring look, original, or a rats nest?  If it
is completely hosed that is not a good sign.  People often tear this area up
and if so this is an indication that they are willing to do shoddy work
elsewhere.  The carpets in these cars was designed to be pulled up, so
please do!  you will find all sorts under there.  Well I hope I helped.
Please apply everything else you would normally do to a car you are buying.
These are some of the things I know, other opinions might differ, but I have
found these to be true.  By the way in my experience on a car, mechanics are
easy to fix, body and such is a nightmare.  For me personally, $2500 would
be for a car in above average condition.  If the car you describe doesn't
have any major body problems or other items, and it appears to be a nice car
from say 20 feet, you are probably in the right ballpark.  if not start
looking more in the $1500 range.  please note it is incredibly hard to tell
value without seeing it or recieving an indepth inspection.

my .02
Patrick Bowen
'79 Spitfire