RE: stereos in a Spit, parts 1 & 2

To: Scions of the Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: stereos in a Spit, parts 1 & 2
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:28:31 -0500 ()
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 FODFARTS@cs.com wrote:

>    Hi everybody,
>     On the subject of stereos in Spitfires, I own a 64 MKI with a AM/FM
> Stereo that has an option that I'm a little confused about, it is also an
> 8-track player. I have to admit that the car is about 10 years older than me
> and I don't know if 8-tracks were around then. I have no plans on replacing
> it but was wondering if it could be a factory radio. Any ideas?

Not factory. At that time, dealer-installed options included an AM radio
and, on some models with enough room in the dash area, an additional,
hang-on FM converter. AM-FM radios were very uncommon in cars then, and
the 8-track (not one of Bill Lear's greatest inventions) was just being
introduced in some Ford models as I recall. (Right, FT?)

Later that same day, he added:

> Another question about my 8-track player, anyone know how to get CD's to
> play on it?  How about some sort of software patch? And is it Y2K
> compliant? I don't want it to start firing 8-tracks out like rifle
> shells or something.

Yes. Simple, really. First you need one of those adaptors so that you can
play cassette tapes on your 8-track. Then you need one of those adaptors
with the "head" that goes into the cassette slot and powers your CD
player.

THEN you need to explain to your passenger why he or she will no longer be
riding with you, since that seat is taken up with all these adaptors.

And yes, all of the above should be Y2K compliant. ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,  *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus (22) *