Re: Gearbox top cover

To: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Gearbox top cover
From: Bill Kelly <bk54@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:00:29 -0500
Pat,

3-rail gearbox top cover disassembly is straightforward. I believe all
operations are performed with the unit upside down on a bench.

First you need to punch out the endcaps at both ends of each rail. There
are angled holes drilled from the bottom of the top cover casting, that
let you get a punch behind the caps. All you need is a hammer, and of
course an appropriate diameter punch.

Next, loosen the 3 square-head set screws that hold the selector forks
to the rails. The heads will want to break off. You don't want them to!
Be very gentle. If you do snap one off, don't go on to the next step
till you've loosened all 3. Yup, we're talking easy-out.

Slide the rails out the front end. WARNING! There is an interlock
arrangement between the shafts, involving two ball bearings and a pin
through the centre shaft. Do one of the outer shafts first. A bearing
will drop out after an inch or 2 of shaft movement. (if you remove the
centre shaft first, both BBs will fall out at about the same time,
you'll catch one of them, and the other one will roll away). WARNING!
There are spring-loaded plungers that will want to fly out the round
holes in the underside of the casting, once the end of the shaft passes.
You don't want them to!

That's about it, except to say that assembly is the reverse.

Write back off list if you need any clarifications.

Bill Kelly