Rough idle

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rough idle
From: Ben Bacon <Ben@HEI-KC.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:16:24 -0600
Greetings All
My engine has had a slight rough idle ever sense it was brought back to
life.  It acted like a burnt valve.  I did a tissue test at the tail pipe
and observed it being pulled in during the miss.  Well, I did a compression
test last night.  Turns out the engine is tight.  All cylinders were reading
at 115-118 PSIG.  #1 was 115, #2,3 &4 were 118.  So it does not appear to be
a burnt valve after all.  The PO had removed all the emission stuff some
time in the past.  The air rail tubes were cut and brazed at the head.  I
want to replace the air rail nuts at the cylinder head with plugs.  Anyone
have the thread data and or source.

I'm going to check the manifolds for leaks.  Carb mixture appears to be dead
on based on spark plug conditions.  Now the spitfire is a 79  federal but
the engine is an 80 California model.  Timing is set for 10 degrees BTDC  I
tried setting the timing for 2 degrees ATDC per CA standards, but the engine
ran rough, so I set it back to 10 BTDC.  Any other ideas on whats causing
the miss.  Could the timing gears be off a tooth.  I have not replaced the
spark plug wires yet, but was planing on it.  Any ideas.

Also, when I let up on the gas I get some noise from the rear end.  This
only happens when there's no load on the drive shaft and after the car is
running for 15 -20 minutes. The drive shaft is an 80 model with the CV joint
at the front.  When I first started driving the car I had some noise from
the rear, when going around a turn at speed, generally from the un-weighted
wheel.  After I replaced the half shaft differential oil seals and outer
diff bearing the noise went away.  The rack and pinion gear has about 10-15
degrees of play in it. I assume that the noise  is probably the U-joints
talking to me. Or do I need to think about a Diff. Overhaul.

Your Thoughts?

Thanks

Ben Bacon
79 spitfire (Daily Driver and primary means of transportation).