Rear end noises

To: trfolks@excite.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear end noises
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:10:42 -0400
I think that you are hearing a different noise when you turn the wheel by hand.
It is probably the differential gears turning.  These do not actually move when
you are driving in a straight line.

I bet the real problem is the axle shaft U-joints, which go bad often.

But of course, it could be something else, or a combination of things.
Once I had my diff rebuild in an attempt to get rid of a horrible chattering
noise
from the rear end.  The problem turned out to be a seized-up joint in the
driveshaft (the strap type).

Doug Braun