Re: Brakes & MC question

To: "Alan Lemen" <alemen@ftconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Brakes & MC question
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 11:17:20 -0400
Alan Lemen
> ... as the PO had replaced
> the sells but had not put in fluid so it was sticking and was full of
crud
> which I cleaned, lubed with DOT4 and it now works fine. What I can't get
is
> that teh seals wre new but all covered in old muck, so I don't want to
think
> what he did.....
> Just need the paint to dry as I took the advantage of cleaning up the
mess
> where the old fluid had been spilt when the MC was off.
>
> Also I had been looking at getting a MityVac. Anyone tried these?
>
> Alan

Could be that he cleaned, replaced the seals, and coated the inside with
DOT 4 fluid to protect the surfaces during storage....storage ended up
being longer than expected and the DOT 4 produced a powdery substance that
you are seeing as "crud". I hesitate to call this the solid left from
evaporation but it certainly has that appearance.

I have used a MityVac. I would prefer doing the two person routine but the
MityVac is helpful when no one else is around. One problem is determining
when you really DO have all the air out of the line. The MityVac hose has a
tendencey to suck in air around the bleeder/hose connection so you get tiny
bubbles in the fluid being sucked out, but the air really isn't coming from
the hydraulic system.

Cheers
Keith