Dual Weber DCOE's

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Dual Weber DCOE's
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:47:15 -0700
After recently acquiring a pair of 40DCOE2 carbs with SAH intake
manifold, I am left with a dilemma.  Because I already had a Cannon
Intake manifold, I am torn between which of the two to use.  I am
leaning toward the Cannon but there are positives for both.

-The Cannon is one cast unit where the SAH is two individual units.
-The Cannon has the linkage attached to the manifold, the SAH has an
independent linkage that bolts to the front carb.
-The SAH is not as wide as the Cannon (thickness between the head and
the carbs.  This allows for better clearance for stacks and/or air
cleaners.  But being closer to the head, the manifold has more severe
bends which gives cause for concern about unequal fuel distribution.
-The SAH has a vacuum port on each of the tubes whereas the Cannon has
none.
-The Cannon has two tapped holes in the casting that joins the two
parts.  I think this is to mount a support bracket because with the
carbs attached, there is quite a bit of weight on the head bolts and the
manifold.  Being 2 separate pieces, the SAH has none.

So, all you Weber experts out there please voice your opinion as to
which I ought to use.  The other one will go to the highest bidder!

Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer