Chrome Wheels

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Chrome Wheels
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:21:22 -0400
Here on the east coast, chroming companies are few and far between. And any
of the good ones cost an arm and a leg.
I would estimate around $80 to $100 a rim to have it poorly chromed (are
the ones you have true?). (The place I'm having trim pieces for the '50
ford truck chromed...To have a 2" x 2.5" letter as in "F" is costing me
$36....luckily, the word FORD only has 4 letters). Also, the late model
Spitfires, the hub cap and the trim ring cover about 20% of the surface of
the wheel anyhow. (I like the mini-moon caps on the earlier spits,
personally.)

Not to mention the fact that some places have a 10 week to 6 month
turn-around on chroming. So no touring around in your car unless it's been
equipped with an aftermarket harrier jet conversion for hovering.

I think you'd be better off getting Panasport rims. ($550 for a set of 4
plus shipping). They look close enough to minilite rims. And with them,
they look like you just drove off of the track at lemans!

I don't have any suggestions as to which company to go to (I've priced them
at 3 places now and all three have quoted me at $550 a set of four .) If
you find them cheaper somewhere, let me know.

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland