Re: rebuilding the engine, with more than one question

To: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>, <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Subject: Re: rebuilding the engine, with more than one question
From: "Michael Altomare" <MTAltomare@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:27:54 -0400
Shotpeening and case hardening do have very little in common, but so does
grit or bead blasting and shotpeening.  I'll explain:

- Case hardening is a heat-treat process whereby the outer layer of material
(metal) is made harder than the remaining substrate.  This gives the item
strength, but makes it less brittle than if the whole part was heat-treated
to the harder value.

- Grit blasting or bead blasting is a mechanical means of removing paint,
cad plating, dirt, etc.

- Stress relief is normally done by baking metalic parts to alleviate the
residual stresses that build up over time as load cycles take their toll.

- Shotpeening is a process where metalic shot is directed under air pressure
to add a compressive layer to the surface of a metallic part.  It is not
used to remove paint, etc.  It is normally done to highly stressed parts
after the stress relief bake when a part is undergoing overhaul, and during
original manufacture.  Its use helps to prevent cracks that form due to
tensile stress.

I am an engineer in the aircraft business - we use these processes
frequently.  These processes are also very common in the automotive business
as well.

Michael Altomare
'77 Triumph Spitfire 1500