Oil Chainge

To: "Spit-LIST" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Chainge
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:39:25 +0100
Hi there,

Just to say monday I did my 3000 mile after engin rebuild, thats 2500 miles
and the oil was black.  Kind of expected that, I also had a leaking sump
gasket, which was getting worse.  So I descided to drop the sump to fix the
gasket while chainging the oil.  I found that the leak was caused by the DPO
over torqueing the sump bolts and distorting the oil gasket face.  While I
had the engin open I droped the oil pump to attempt to increase the oil
pressure (to avoid fitting an oil cooler), I had fitted an overhaul kit at
the time I rebuilt the engin which was still perfect, so I set about
reduceing the clearences in the pump.  I leaveled off the bottom pickup
plate using valve grinding past on a thick peace of very flat glass. Then
reduced the clearences of the main body in the same way.  And used hammerite
red on the faces.  When I dropped the pump about 1/2 a pint of oil came out
which would have poluted the new oil.

Anyway I put some silicon selant on the sump gasket both sides, lightly
tightened the bolts and refilled with oil.

The result slightly better oil pressure and absolutly no oil leak, oh and
golden clean oil.

Might try an overhauled rocker shaft to fix the oil pressure, then it's just
an oil cooler.  Then mabe a new cam.

James