Re: Axle stands (was RE: new spitter...)

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>, Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Axle stands (was RE: new spitter...)
From: Rick Gregory <rick_gregory@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:35:45 -0700 (PDT)
Guys:

I think the chief benefit of using the jack stands vs.
a hydraulic jack is not the "slippage" (on car) factor
but rather the "internal" security of the stands.

A hydraulic jack is obviously based on a hydraulic
system. It is the hydraulics which may fail (piston,
etc) -- never fully trust a hydraulic system with your
life. The stands "latch & hook-arm" is much more
secure.

--Rick

--- Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:

> Dean,
> I see your point.  And I agree that on solid axle
> cars, the Axle is a
> good place to put the stands.
>
> On the Spit, with the stands I use (and most I have
> seen) the tops are
> wide enough that they actually curve around the
> edges of the frame
> members.  So slippage is not really a problem.
>
> Regards,
> Joe
>
> Dean Dashwood wrote:
> >
> > Fair point, Joe - I was talking from experience of
> other cars, I've
> > never (yet!) had to use the stands on the Spit.
> But now I think about
> > it, I can see that this probably wouldn't be such
> a good idea on the
> > Spit's rear axles.
> >
> > If they have curved top surfaces, designed for
> resting axles in, though,
> > I would think that resting the frame on top of
> them, with a very small
> > contact area, wouldn't be quite as stable?
> >
> > An attempt at a diagram (view in Arial font for
> least-bad results) :
> >
> > Resting an axle in an axle stand:
> >
> >    axle
> >    \ O /  <-  axle stand
> >     -----
> >
> > Resting the frame on an axle stand:
> >
> >   frame
> >  ________
> >    \     /  <-  axle stand
> >     -----
> >
> > Ok, so those pictures are *really* bad, but I
> think you can just about
> > see that an axle is fairly stable inside an axle
> stand, whereas the
> > frame can slide about on it, not really giving you
> much better
> > protection than using a jack.
> >
> > Have I just completely invented a problem that
> doesn't exist, or is
> > there a standard way round this (although I'm
> hoping that I won't need
> > to worry about it for a little while longer
> anyway.....) ???

===
Spitfire page at http://www.apiinc.com/rick/spitrec.html