new spitter...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: new spitter...
From: "todd j. derr" <tjd@wordsmith.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:15:01 -0400
Hello,

        I've been reading this list since shortly after I bought my new friend,
a 1978 (or is that 79? commision #FM91578U) Spitfire, about a month ago, but
this is my first post... so, hello to everyone out there.

        So far it's been fairly smooth sailing, but now I need to pass state
inspection, which isn't going to happen unless I can fix the reverse lights.
Currently they're stuck on - or at least _were_ stuck on before I removed the
bulbs; my thinking being I'm a lot more likely to get pulled over with the
stuck on than off...

        Anyways, I have obtained the Haynes manual, which shows the location
of the reverse switch on the tranny, but I can't find anything about how to
access it.  So, does anyone know, can I reach it from under the car or do I
need to remove the cover inside the passenger compartment to get it from
above?

        Also, this may be a silly question but I'd rather be silly than dead -
I bought a pair of jackstands and have no idea how to use them.  Should I put
them under the frame?  Under the lower wishbones in front?  Under the axle in
the rear?  Or should I jack up the car using the frame and put the jackstands
under the normal jacking points?

thanks in advance for any help,

todd.

PS: I _love_ driving this car!