HELP!! Tranny tunnel cover problem!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: HELP!! Tranny tunnel cover problem!
From: Brad Kahler <bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 11:54:32 -1000
Listers,

The person installing my replacement tranny/OD in my Spitfire4 mk1 has
come up with a slight problem.  First some background info.  The car is
pretty much totally stock.  I'm having the original tranny pulled out
and a rebuilt MkIV 3-rail tranny with D type overdrive installed in its
place.  I got a message from the guy doing the work that said the tranny
tunnel housing (original from a 71 spitfire) would have to be "cut back"
2" to make it fit. AT this point I'm not real sure what he means but I
will be talking with him later today but thought I would query the list
and see if anyone has run into this problem before.  I've got all the
right components for the change over but this one kind of caught me by
surprise.  Was there a change in the tunnel housings due to the change
in the 3-rail from non 1st gear syncro to full syncro?

Any help would be greatly apprecited.

TIA

Brad

http://www.141.com/triumphs