Re: Spitfire Camber Compensators

To: bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil
Subject: Re: Spitfire Camber Compensators
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 01:21:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 3 Jul 1999 bkahler@omc.ja.dtra.mil wrote:

> What are the odds of having it in my hands before July 22nd?!  Be nice to
> show it off at the VTR convention in Maine.  Gee, that kind of sounds like
> free advertising doesn't it, now I don't feel so bad about the $100 loss on
>the
> first spring!

Well, Brad, you and anyone else in Portland that week who would like to
see how the ORIGINAL mounts need only crawl under my trailer anytime
during the week that the Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4 is there and not on the
ground! That's assuming that the RaceSpit 4 makes the trip, but I'm still
planning on bringing it!

For those Spitlisters (ok, YOU settle on a better name for us!) who are
not aware, the Hardly Boys RaceSpit 4 is a circa 1964 Spitfire 4 that,
apparently with the help of a junkyard Mk.2, factory literature and a
decent-for-the-period checking account, was built into a real SCCA GP
race car probably in the mid- to late 1960s. For reasons unknown, it
remained very unmodified past that initial build (following virtually every
step of the 1st edition of the Comp. Prep. Manual and using a great deal
of the "approved" parts listed in same) until literally abandoned in a
garage in the late 1970s or early 1980s.

Then buddy Rik Schlierer and I got hold of it, undid some really ugly and
useless modifications, cleaned and painted just about everything, rebuilt
almost nothing (other than to replace gaskets, seals, and the like), and
proceeded to autocross the car off and on ever since.

Lots of fun, still very little investment (having a barn full of usable
spares, not to mention what came with the car when we got it, really has
helped)! But yes, it still has the "old style" competition, dearched rear
spring and camber compensator. Works for us!

--Andy