Re: Spitfire doors Mk2 vs Mk3

To: Gary Blake <garyb@fast.co.za>
Subject: Re: Spitfire doors Mk2 vs Mk3
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 06:09:24 -0700
Gary,
I think I must be an "authority" on Spitfire doors by now.  Lord knows
I've had my share of troubles with them.

To answer your question, "It depends".  During the manufacture of the
Mk2, Triumph changed the latch mechanisms from what was used on the Mk1
(the outside handles turn) to what was used on the Mk3 (the push-button
types).  In fact the only difference in all of the door skins all the
way through the 1500's is the allowance for the outside handles.

So if you get a later model Mk2 door with the anti-burst latch , it
should work on a mk3 without modifications.

Regards,
Joe Curry

Gary Blake wrote:

> Could someone please let me know if a Spitfire Mk2 door shell is exactly the
> same as a Mk3 door shell. I have an accident damaged door on my Mk3 and a
> chance of obtaining a replacement (not so easy out here!) Mk2 door shell and
> I'm not sure if they are exactly the same. If they are not the same, what
> differences are there?
> TIA
> Gary
> Johannesburg, South Africa