Re: Rebuilt carb, now new problems

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>, "Spit-LIST" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilt carb, now new problems
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 11:03:07 -0400
At 06:36 PM 6/24/99 -0700, Peter S. wrote:

>I just finished rebuilding the single Stromberg on my 76 1500.  It doesn't
>leak gas anymore but the idle is fairly rough.  Seems I can't get it smooth.
>Here are my questions:

>1.  Turning the idle mixture screw clockwise (right side of carb), makes it
>richer or leaner?

Richer.  This is kind of a fine adjustment screw. With that screw about one
turn out, you should first adjust mixture with the allen wrench tool,
through the air piston.

>2.  Seems idle is too slow unless I screw in the cold choke setting.  What
>else can I do?

The actual idle screw is just inboard of that one (a little towards the
front of the car). It is a slotted headless set screw with a 3/8 (I think)
lock nut around it.

>3.  What position should the water choke be at?  It appears to hold it in
>position but what should it be?

Sorry, my car has been converted to a manual choke.

>4.  How do I know if/when the choke is in OFF mode?

The choke richens the mixture thru a drilling (hole) just inboard of the
air piston.  With the air cleaner removed you could lift the piston and see
if fuel was coming out of there.  If you have trouble locating the
enrichment hole, remove the air piston & look down, you'll locate it just
inboard of the main jet.

You could also temporarily block the choke off with a blank gasket for the
purposes of setting up the carb mixture.  Once you set up the mixture you
can deal with the choke issues later.

>5.  Pulled a vacuum on the EGR valve and couldn't hold vacuum.  It will move
>by putting my fingers in it and forcing it to move otherwise.  Is it
>possible to rebuild the diaphragm or whatever has failed?  Its a requirement
>to pass smog tests.

Don't know, my EGR valve still works.  If you suspect a leaky EGR or
distributor diapragm, however, I would definitely block off vacuum to those
components when trying to set up the carb. (Easier said than done with the
distributor though, since timing should be proper during carb setup.)

>6. Anybody have a used good EGR valve to sell?

Not me, sorry.

>7.  Plugs were cleaned and gapped to 25.  Any other clues as to why it won't
>run smooth?

As Larry Elswick discovered, some Spits have an anti run-on valve which is
piped to the intakes for cylinders 3 & 4. This can cause a lean burn
situation on those two only.  Check the plugs to make sure all four are
burning uniformly.

If you are running an electronic ignition, set the plug gap to .35.

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
"Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?"