Re: mk2 brake fluid

To: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: mk2 brake fluid
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:10:24 -0400
Phil Johnson wrote:

> --- david <engstrom@tstonramp.com> wrote:
> > Subsequent to putting dot3 brake fluid in my
> > mk2 I read that it
> > will destroy the seals. Is this true?
>
> That's a new one on me. The only compatibility between
> fluids that cause problems is Silicon Dot 5, and any
> other brake fluid.

Rumors were, back in the old days, that something in DOT3
brake fluid ate the live rubber seals that LBCs use. I have
never seen any evidence of this. You are right about mixing
DOT5 (Silicone) and any other fluid. Don't, repeat don't
do it.

[snip]

> Again, EP 90, GL4 spec gear oil, but don't use Hypoid
> GL5 spec stuff because it reacts with some of the
> bronze bushes in the transmission and diff.

This is due to the use of sulfur based materials in the
early versions of GL5. I have spoken to Castrol engineers
a couple of times at trade shows and they assure me that
the latest (1996 on) versions of their GL5 lubes have
eliminated the sulfur additives.