RE: starting problem

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: starting problem
From: Dean Rayner <DeanR@saville.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:58:57 +0100

>Subject: starting problem
>
>Before I started to rebuild my engine I had a problem while starting the car
>where the starter would kick out before the engine would catch. The engine
>would usually be close to catching when the starter would kick out and there
>would just be a humming noise until I stopped turning the key toward start.
>I'd like to get this problem solved before I try to start my engine for the
>first time if it is ready this weekend.

Mine does that! I thought they all did.

I have replaced the starter motor complete.  It was past it's best anyway.

The problem was better, but not totally solved.  On the starter that
came out, the cog on the end of the bendix screw was well chewed, I
suspect the teeth on the flywheel are similarly damaged.  That is too
big a job to solve a small problem...I just put up with it......use
plenty of choke!

Dean Rayner
\_\_\_      \_\_\_      Dean Rayner           Novice -------> Premier
  \_   \_     \_   \_    City of York Scouts   91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99
   \_   \_     \_\_\_    Anchormen Senior D&BC 99.
    \_\_\_      \_   \_  Kingsmen D&BC '87     Cybercorps '94 - oblivion
     http://www.drayner.demon.co.uk/           ICQ 34023370