Difficult Shifting Symptoms

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Difficult Shifting Symptoms
From: PVanDuyne@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:07:03 EDT
Listers

Any Ideas as to the cause(s) of the following symptoms (Hoping to be at the
Nationals in Portland):

                1. First sign of trouble was difficulty in
down shifting to second. Shift linkage felt             stuck, even if I came
to a full stop I                                still had to pull much harder
than normal to          get it out of third.  First and second still
feel OK.

                2. Second symptom is a slight gear chatter
when up shifting to third and downshifting                      from third.
This has always been present if                 I was aggressive but now it
happens on                              almost every shift but not if I
double                          clutch. I bought the car with 81,500 Miles
                and it was a daily fair weather driver. It
currently has 84,500 miles and I have not                       touched the
clutch, MC or slave.

                3.The third symptom bothers me the most,
maybe it has always done this, but the                          shifter moves
about once inch forwards and                    backwards       when
accelerating in third.  Step            on the  trottle and the shift knob
moves back              one inch release the throttle and it moves
        forward one inch.  I am able to occasionally            get it to
jump out of gear doing this.

                Any ideas as to the cause will be appreciated!!  I had a
small front end collision in September 98.  I have since replaced the bonnet
and bumper any chance the above are related to this accident?

Pete VanDuyne
1980 Spit