Surge tank-

To: "Childs, David" <dchilds@epri.com>
Subject: Surge tank-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:09:23 -0700
On a few of the early emission controlled vehicles, to provide a means for
the vapors in the tank to expand while still containing them, Triumph used
a variety of small tanks mounted in the boot area, usually on the sides for
this function.  Mine is a rectangular one, but I have seen triangular ones
also.  Then, sometime I believe in 74, the tank was modified by dropping
the filler neck about an inch and a half, effectively creating a small free
space of about a gallon in the top of the tank (by not allowing you to fill
it completely) and eliminating the need for an additional tank.  The
smaller one would collect any fuel that spilled or surged out of the tube
connecting this small tank to the main fuel tank, containing it until it
would evaporate and be absorbed by the charcoal cannister. I have always
called them this, but that may be the incorrect term, and may more properly
be labeled vapor recovery tanks-

72 FI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)