MY Re: California Stop?

To: SPITFIRES <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: MY Re: California Stop?
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:13:57 -0400
I am from the "LEFT" coast and I lived in California for 4 years and
although I got 7 traffic tickets I enjoyed the driving. My first ticket was
for J walking, the judge asked where I was from and when I said Boston he
said "OH" with a smirk and let me off with a warning.  The others were for
speeding and motorcycle noise. Some rules may sound ludicrous to all you
none Californians but I had to attend a special class run by the High Way
Patrol when I had to get a military drivers licence. The first thing he
said was when you pull up to an intersection and the sign says STOP you
come to a complete stop. The rules are enforced so all drivers know how the
others will drive. So when you come to an intersection and the stop sign is
for the crossing street you know the other guy is going to stop. If you
want to turn at an intersection your blinker must blink (I think) six times
and its the same if you want to change lanes.
This was in the sixties and the explanation was "If you draw a line from
San Francisco east and count all the cars south of that line there are
(were?) More cars than in the rest of the nation. That is why so many LEFT
coasters hate driving in SOCAL. How many times have you gotten some jerk in
front of you that you want to ram because they stop at the red light and
when it turns green they pull half way into the intersection and stop and
when they can turn they turn and as they turn they then put the turn
blinker on. All the while you want to go straight and would have pulled
into the other lane as you approached the light. Did I hear someone say
loan me your gun?