Re: serial numbers

To: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: serial numbers
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 06:29:13 -0600
Hi Phil,
        You have discovered the chassis (frame) number. As mentioned on another
member's
post, it is not the same as the Commission Plate number.  And it can vary *a
lot* from
that number
eg my MK IV     chassis FC183719                comm FK5061L
        1500    chassis FC262692                comm FM19162U
        1500    chassis FC249813                comm FM10012U
        1500    chassis FC285471                comm FM444804U

Based on the above, you may notice that chassis always is 6 digits, but comm
can be any
number depending on the vehicle age in its series.

        I haven't had definite word from BMIHT whether they use that number is
tracing a
vehicle's history.

Cheers, Fred
--