Re: Thrust Washers WAS Re: [Fwd: Transmission]

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers WAS Re: [Fwd: Transmission]
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:09:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/99 0:53:06 AM EST, alfapete@pacbell.net writes:

> All together now. Oh sh#t!  I did a cursory check last week on this end
>  float by pushing and pulling on the front pulley from below the car.  It
>  moved about 1/16 to 1/8"  if I remember right.  Where is the gap measured
>  exactly?  Anybody replace the washer on a 1500 Spit?  Is mine too far gone
>  to be able to do it still?
>  Peter S

The problem is that when the thrust washers become worn enough, they drop
out and allow the crankshaft to ride directly on the block.  This ruins both
the
crankshaft and the block, repairable in theory, but in reality another engine
is
usually called for.  Been there, done that.

It's a relatively simple matter to check and change the thrust washers.  Drop
the oil pan, and remove the rear main bearing cap and see if they're both in
place.  If necessary, the old ones can be slid out and new ones put in.
Oversize
thrust washers are available.  They're real cheap, under $10 for a set.

Until you get a chance to check, I would recomend not starting the engine.
Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you!

-Greg